Thanks for your interest in Empty Mirror!
- For your best chances of acceptance, please take a look at what we've published before. Visit Empty Mirror.
- Please read our guidelines here before submitting your work.
- Please complete all the fields on the submission form.
- To query about a book review, please go to our website and send us an email.
Submission responses are sent from email@example.com. Please whitelist that address to be sure you receive our response to your submission.
I try to reply within 12 weeks - usually on a weekend - but it may be a little longer, or a lot less, depending on my workload. (I'm usually the only one reading submissions -- at least initially -- and I have a day job.)
I look forward to seeing your work!
Editor, Empty Mirror
You're also welcome to include photos which should be included with your written work. (Please provide attribution / source.) Photos should not be embedded in the document.
Note on book reviews:
If you've written a review, please submit it here. However, if you would like us to review your book, please go to our website, take a look at our review guidelines, then follow the instructions found on that page.
Please note: Collages, mixed media works, paintings, and drawings are all welcome. We are not currently accepting photography.
Please submit between 3 and 12 images. (Any text files which accompany your work are welcome, too.) Images should be uploaded as individual files (.jpg, .gif or .png), rather than embedded in a Word document or a pdf.
Images should be at least 550 pixels on their longest side 750 or larger is best. Please name each image with its title, or include a caption.
Your artist's statement or an introductory note about your work is optional but recommended, and very welcome.
You may submit up to six poems. We often publish poetry in multiples, and your chances are best if you submit more than one.
Important: Please submit all poems together in one document. To do so, open a new document. Paste all of your poems into it. Then, upload it here.
(It's much easier for us to open a single document than, for example, six separate ones! Help us out, OK?)
If your work has previously been declined, please wait at least 30 days before sumbitting again.
We look forward to reading your poems!
Other things to know:
- We greatly enjoy the work of the Beat Generation poets! However, please don't write in imitation of them. We have diverse tastes and want to read poems which reveal your own voice.
- While only about 15% of our website is devoted to poetry, poems make up for about 85% of the submissions. We don't want to discourage you - please do submit! - but understand that we have to turn away many poems that we wish we could publish.
- There's only one person initially reading poetry submissions, and given the volume, it takes her a while to get through them all, as she wants to give each poem her full attention. For this reason, it may take from one to three months to get a reply. We appreciate your patience.
Thanks so much! We look forward to reading your work!